Week 3- Pre production

Pre production is a key part of any project, but for my FYP it's essential to really go in depth. Araki's process tend to research in depth, and shows in obscure references.

But trying to capture Araki's style was the most important task, as the line work, cross hatch and thin proportions of his characters, are what make them reconcilable.

I began with a simple bust of my stand user.

I used my moodboards as well as flipping through various images from the anime in particular, trying to mimic the style. For my first iteration I focused more on the anatomy, such a the length of the nose, face, neck and the thickness of the eyes as well. I think it wasn't bad for a first attempt, I got the shape of the nose and upper body correct, but there are some issues with the proportions of the face, the changes in line thickness and the smoothness of the lines.


I then created a second, more successful iteration, with an attempt at coloring, and improvident the cross hatch shading.  Her facial proportions are more accurate, with her mouth closet o her nose and a longer chin. 
I should have tried again, perhaps even a fourth time, to really nail this style. But I decided I had other priorities to focus on, This small process did help me develop her overall design, though.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 13-texture

Week 11- Refining the Sculpt